Limited to small animals, Shelbyville Animal Clinic is a full service hospital. Appointments are strongly recommended but not required. Drop-off services are also available. Besides being a full service animal hospital, including lab facilities, Xray, surgery and dentistry, the Shelbyville Animal Clinic offers routine veterinary care - vaccines, boarding and bathing.
Please feel free to call for any questions or quotes for services.
- Examinations For your convenience, offices visits are schedule an appointment basis. Occasionally emergencies may upset our routine scheduling, but we try to make any delay to you no longer an absolutely necessary. We have a few suggestions to help you make the most of your visit.
- Driving to the hospital - Since most pets do not like to ride, it is best not to feed them two or three hours before travel. Cats may also become exceptionally nervous in a moving car. To avoid this, place the cat and a pet carrier or a well ventilated box. (what he cannot see cannot hurt him!)
- At the hospital - To avoid unfortunate accidents, all pets should be held, restrained on a leash, or kept in a pet carrier for their own protection. Please be sure to let the girls know at the front desk of any and all problems with your pet. (Making a list of problems or symptoms before you leave home insures that nothing is forgotten) This allows for the most efficient use of the doctor's time and helps en.bsure a quick trip
- Returning home with your pet - If your pet has been hospitalized, please phone us before you plan to pick him up. This will ensure he is ready to be released and save you an unnecessary trip. If you have any problems were unanswered questions feel free to call us upon your return home. If your pet has been sedated or had surgery, the doctor or a staff member will have instructions for you on when and what to feed your pet for his first meal at home. Follow any release instructions and give all medications that are dispensed to you unless instructed otherwise. Please remember that just because your pet is a dog or cat does not in any way uncomplicated their condition. Be patient and allow enough time for results.
- Vaccinations Rabies vaccinations are required by Indiana law for all cats and dogs and must be administered by a licensed veterinarian. A number of other vaccines are available for your pet. Although not required, these vaccines are strongly recommended for you pets continued good health.
- Surgery Good equipment and staff allow us to handle many soft tissue and orthopedic problems. Oxygen with gas anesthetic is available when needed and a cryosurgery (freezing) unit is also available for the removal of small growths in older patients were anesthetic is risky. Most surgeries are done on an out- patient basis with arrival at the clinic between 7:30 and 8 am the day of surgery, an afternoon release to go home. ** We strongly recommend neutering of all pets unless they are to be bred. Neutering is not only a form of birth control, but there are medical conditions that can be avoided later in life by having this procedure done at a young age.
- Dental Scalings All teeth are scaled with ultrasonic device and polished just like the dentist does your teeth. Sedation is required to properly clean teeth but pets usually go home the same day. Routine dental health is as important for your animal as it is for you. Deposits that build up on your pets teeth and gums not only lead to tooth decay but also contribute to others diseases such as heart failure.
- Grooming Bathing, pedicure, light grooms services are available. Please call for information.
- Boarding We board pets as a service to our clients on a reservation basis. Our entire hospital is climate controlled year-round . For your pet safety proof of all vaccinations current within the last 12 months are required before admission to the hospital. Fees are based on the size of the pet and charged on a nightly basis.
- Laboratory Services Some routine lab tests are performed in-house. Others like chemistries, urinalysis, bacteriology, biopsies, and special chemistry panels are performed by an outside nationally recognized lab service. Results of most test are received and reported out within a 12 hour turnaround time.
- Radiology most routine x-rays can be taken, processed and read within a couple hours. The clinic is equipped with modern equipment and an automatic processor that that helps ensure we get a good quality x-rays.
- Referrals When it is in the best interest of your pets health, we may find it necessary to refer you to other hospitals or doctors more equipped or experienced in specialty areas. Indianapolis has many excellent specialty clinics with certified doctors that are available to us for phone consultation or the direction referral of your pet when needed.